While I do still occasionally use heat on my hair, I prefer not to. I do blow dry it about a few times a year and will use this awesome hair curler when I want big voluminous curls (which is about once every few months for special events). I have not used a hair straightener at all since I have gone no poo. I used to use a straightener daily to tame frizzy fly-aways. But that’s a thing of the past.
No Heat Curls – Headband Curls
My absolute, hands down favorite way to get no heat curls is with using a headband.
- Slightly dampen your hair. I stick my hand under the faucet, get my hand wet, then run it through my hair. I repeat that about 5 times. Barely damp.
- Put the headband on your head, hippy style.
- Wrap your hair in pieces around the headband.
- Leave as long as you have. I have done this from 1 hour to overnight. The longer you leave your hair wrapped up, the curly your hair will be.
- Unwrap your hair.
- Comb through as desired (with fingers, brush, or comb).
- Enjoy beautiful curls!
These curls stay all day for me. When I leave my hair wrapped overnight, the curls will last 2 days (the 2nd day is wavy, not full on curls). I do not use any products when I do this. But of course, you can use hair spray, gel, serum, or whatever styling products you prefer.
No Heat Curls – T-Shirt Curls
You can use any scrap fabric for this method. Old t-shirts, dish towels, socks, leftover fabric from a craft project, anything. I like using cotton.
- Cut your fabric into about 6” strips about 1” wide. Note: In the pictures here, I used a t-shirt that was stretchy, jersey cotton. It didn’t cut very straight. Don’t worry if your strips look like that, it doesn’t matter.
- Very slightly dampen your hair.
- Section your hair into 1-2” sections.
- Roll the section around a fabric strip. Roll under / towards your neck.
- Tie the fabric strip in a knot.
- Leave for a couple hours to overnight.
- Untie and remove the fabric strips.
- Brush through as desired.
- Watch this video tutorial.
For More Info
For more info, be sure to check out my ebook, The No Poo Method.