Since I have started no poo, I use very little styling products because my hair just doesn’t need them. My hair holds curl better and is not near as frizzy.
If you choose to purchase products, you want to avoid these ingredients:
- Parabens: Anything that ends with “paraban”
- Polymers: Silicones, anything that ends with “cone”, “xane”, “zane” or “conol”
You can also check the toxicity level of your products on the EWG database.
Other than washing using no poo methods, I use 3 products on my hair:
- When I need hairspray (which once or twice a month), I use this hairspray by Giovanni. It does have alcohol which can dry your hair. So if you have dry or porous hair, I would use a product without alcohol.
- I use argan oil as a hair serum to tame any flyaways. I use it once or twice between washes. I add essential oils to the argan oil. You can find my full recipe here.
- I use a DIY dry shampoo.
There are lots of DIY spray, serum, and gel recipes if you choose to make your own products. Common ingredients include:
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Essential Oils
- Marshmallow Root
- Coconut Oil
- Almond Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sea Salt
- Spray Bottle
Have fun & play around with all of those ingredients! You can create the perfect products for your hair. And here are some recipes:
- Dry Shampoo from The Crunchy Moose
- Argan Oil Serum from The Crunchy Moose
- Homemade hairspray from Thank Your Body
- DIY Beach Waves Spray from Empowered Sustenance
- Beach Waves Spray from Wellness Mama
- Hair Detangler from Nearly Natural Momma
- Leave In Conditioner & Frizz Serum from Overthrow Martha
- Dry Shampoo Spray from Mommypotamus
- Hair Pomade from Mommypotamus
- Hair Gel from Mommypotamus
- Hair Mousse for Curly Hair from The Sweet Plantain
- Glitter Gel from The Coconut Mama
- Gelatin Aloe Gel from The Skintervintion Guide Blog
- Sheaaloe for Hair from Urban Bush Babes
- Alcohol Free Hairspray from Whole New Mom
- Hairspray from Wellness Mama
- Aloe Vera Detangler from Naturally Curly
- Detangler Recipes from Curly Nikki
- Detangler Recipes from Naturally Curly
For More Info
For more info, be sure to check out my ebook, The No Poo Method.